No Sugar Challenge: Week 2
OK, things are getting serious. I’ve gone two weeks without sugar (well, for the most part – but more on that in a minute) and I’ve noticed changes.
What was easy:
- Noticing the changes in my skin: it could just be the blazing hot sun playing trick on my eyes, but I’m pretty sure my skin is looking loads better! No blemishes and a definite glow are definitely pluses of this no sugar challenge!
- Understanding why sugar is bad for you: I’m reading Sweet Poison by David Gillespie. It makes what is obviously a complex issue so blatantly clear.
- Cravings: I can’t tell you how bad I wanted peanut butter and banana on toast on Sunday morning!!! While they don’t contain sugar, I’ve been reading a lot lately about the different types of oils. You can go into depth on the subject, but I’ll give you the summary here: olive oil and coconut oil = good. Vegetable oil, sunflower oil, canola oil, etc = bad. Both the bread and the peanut butter I had at hand contained canola oil and vegetable oil, respectively. I am not perturbed though, I know you can get 100% peanuts peanut butter (though I’ll go one better and opt for cashew nut butter) and I am sure there must be some bread out there with no added sugar or bad oils. If not, I’ll make my own! There – another challenge for me!
- Eating out: again, for the second week in a row. I was out for lunch and opted for the pork belly salad with dressing on the side. Lucy, because the dressing contained brown sugar (enemy). However, the pork belly was covered in marinade (that was not on the menu)! I would be kidding myself if I that sweet, sticky coating wasn’t riddled with sugar, but what are you going to do? So I ate it 😦 At first it was delicious and salty, then after a few more mouthfuls it was far too sweet.
- Explaining why I’m quitting sugar: a multitude of reasons, but no, not to lose weight. Ill explain in another post.
|Oats (1/2 cup) with rice milk (1 cup), strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and cinnamon + 1 cup green tea||Poached eggs (2), short cut bacon (2), mushrooms and tomato||Oats (1/2 cup) with rice milk (1 cup), blueberries, blackberries and cinnamon + 1 cup green tea||Poached eggs (2), short cut bacon (2) and tomato||Poached eggs (2), short cut bacon (2) and baby spinach + 1 cup green tea||Poached eggs (2) with baby spinach, short cut bacon (3) and avocado (pictured) + 1 cup Sencha mango tea||Poached eggs (1) with baby spinach, short cut bacon (2) and avocado + 1 cup Sencha mango tea|
|Soy latte and protein balls (2)||Soy latte, banana and protein balls (2)||Soy latte||Black coffee and protein balls (2)||Soy latte and protein balls (2)||Black coffee and 1 handful of raw hazelnuts||Yoghurt and blueberries|
|Tuna, baby spinach, red onion, cucumber, tomatoes, cheese on toasted thin bread (Helga’s rounds)||Tuna, baby spinach, red onion, cucumber, tomatoes, beetroot, mung bean, feta with balsamic vinegar||Tuna, lettuce, carrot, tomato, cucumber, red capsicum, red onion, and feta salad with balsamic vinegar||Tuna, baby spinach, cucumber, avocado, beetroot, mung bean, feta and walnut salad with homemade dressing (pictured)||Pork belly with lettuce, carrot, capsicum, and tomato salad||Tuna, lettuce, carrot, cucumber, red capsicum, red onion, and feta salad with white balsamic vinegar||BBQ Chicken, chickpea and lentil salad with cherry tomatoes (pictured) + 1 cup Sencha vanilla tea|
|1 handful raw almonds||1 handful of pistachios||Soy latte and 1 handful raw almonds||1 handful of pistachios||Yoghurt with blueberries and blackberries||Chicken and mango rice paper rolls(2)||1 handful of raw almonds|
|1 lamb chop, 1 pork chop and lettuce, tomato, carrot, cucumber, red capsicum, red onion, and feta salad||Grilled haloumi with eggplant, capsicum, zucchini and mushroom with balsamic vinegar||Grilled haloumi and green vegetable stack with homemade basil pesto dressing||Pasta with chicken, cream cheese and sundried tomato pesto||Chicken thigh cutlets (2) with chickpea and lentil salad and baked sweet potato||Tuna, lettuce, carrot, red onion, beetroot, cucumber, mung bean and feta salad with homemade dressing|
|Mango and raspberry gelato (pictured)||1 nectarine|