Haloumi with pancetta, asparagus and lemon dressing
Simplicity is the secret to this vegetarian dish, which my mum tonight described as ‘like a restaurant meal’. She said that she wished she’d watched me cook dinner so she could replicate it (it only takes about 10 minutes), so I thought it might be worth posting here 🙂
180gm haloumi cheese (or enough for two people)
6 pieces of asparagus
3 pieces of pancetta, halved length-ways so you have 6 strips
1 small bunch of broccoli
3 button squash
4 teaspoons of olive oil, plus extra for frying
3 teaspoons of lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Steam broccoli and squash over a saucepan of boiling water.
2. Pan-fry haloumi in a little olive oil for two minutes on each side.
3. After turning the haloumi, add the asparagus to the steamed vegetables for two minutes.
4. Remove haloumi from fry pan and vegetables from steamer.
5. Wrap a piece of pancetta around each asparagus stem, beginning toward the top of the sprig and twirling it around to the bottom. Fry the pancetta-wrapped asparagus in the same pan that the haloumi had been in (no need to add extra oil) until the pancetta is crisp.
6. To plate up, put broccoli and squash side by side, top with haloumi, then asparagus spears and drizzle with lemon dressing and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Mix olive oil and lemon juice in a cup, add pepper to taste.
Share, save or print
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)