Chocolate beetroot porridge – heaven in a healthy breakfast bowl
I like to eat vegetables at every meal. It’s an easy way to help ensure I get plenty of clean nutrition in my daily diet and it’s a a brilliant method of ‘crowding out’ less healthy foods. But in winter – when the mornings are cold, wet, windy and overcast – I really can’t go past the comfort of a warming bowl of porridge for breakfast. Porridge and vegetables. How could this work? I recently had the sweetest idea…
Beetroot! It’s a winter root vegetable, so it’s in season. It’s naturally sweet, so you don’t need added sweeteners such as honey or sugar. It throws a vibrant colour, so your day gets off to a bright start. And it marries perfectly with chocolate (or raw cacao for a healthier option)! Chocolate for breakfast? Yes please!
This Chocolate Beetroot Porridge is seriously sweet and divinely creamy and delicious. I couldn’t help but think of Cherry Ripes when eating it for breakfast. That’s not natural, is it?!
- 1/2 cup organic rolled oats
- 1/2 small-medium sized beetroot, roasted, peeled and pureed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon raw cacao powder
- 1 cup milk or water (I use non-homogonised)
- Add all ingredients to a medium saucepan and stir to combine.
- Cook over low heat, stirring regularly, until porridge thickens and starts to simmer.
- When the porridge reaches your desired consistency (I like mine just on the other side of runny), turn off the heat and transfer to a bowl.
You might also like: