Creamy porridge with stewed rhubarb, pear and orange
Do certain foods remind you of specific people, places or things? This creamy porridge with stewed rhubarb, pear and orange is one of my favourite breakfast recipes because it features two classic food loves of mine that remind me of a special person and a wonderful time in my life. Did I mention it’s also divinely creamy, heartwarmingly tasty and sugar free?
Rhubarb reminds me of my grandmother. She’d always make rhubarb pie or stewed rhubarb when I was little. I never had it anywhere else. Now, it’s a regular purchase of mine when I pop to my local farmers market. Porridge reminds me of boarding school. The porridge itself wasn’t so crash hot (anyone who has been to boarding school would probably back me up here – it’s a wonder I enjoy porridge so much these days!), but I have fond memories of boarding school. I made many lifelong friends that I’m still close to.
Anyway, onto this really good stuff! This creamy porridge with stewed rhubarb is, as I said, sugar free. It’s naturally sweetened by the addition of pear and oranges throughout the stewing process, while the creaminess is enhanced by the texture of the chia seeds. I think it’s one healthy breakfast recipe you’re going to love!
- 1/2 cup oats
- 2 teaspoons white chia seeds
- 1 cup milk of choice or water
- 3-4 dessertspoonfuls of stewed rhubarb, pear and orange
- Combine oats, chia seeds and water in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring regularly, until the porridge reaches your desired consistency (about 10 minutes is perfect, in my opinion).
- Pour into a bowl and top with 3-4 dessertspoonfuls of stewed rhubarb, pear and orange.